Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Razr takes a slice at my iPhone addiction

Anyone who has met me knows within 5 minutes of initial conversation, that aside from being very arrogant, obnoxious, and technically inclined, I am also a major iPhone connoisseur.

The user interface, the visual appeal, the built-in iPod, and the associated prestige are all something yet to be paralleled. For nearly a year, I ensured not to make the same mistake I made last April in getting rid of the iPhone (going from the iPhone to the e61i, to the BlackBerry Curve, to the BlackJack 2, and then back to the iPhone once again is not a process I want to repeat).

But I began to realize something... putting the normal cell phone features of calling and text messaging aside, the ubiquitous presence of the iPod, YouTube, a web browser, the iTunes store, and a myriad of applications all at my fingertips are all counter-productive, and go through my time faster than mobile data roaming goes through your funds.

So, a few weeks ago, I picked up a Motorola Razr with no battery for $40 (I had an extra battery for it anyway), and later discovered it was unlocked, to make things even better.

I thought I'd make a quick flip out of it at first - but then thought to myself... "why not see how life without the iPhone treats you?"

So I did just that. Putting my iPhone in my desk drawer, turned off. I missed it quite a bit. Ended up going over 100 hours without it.

It eventually got to the point that I couldn't take it anymore and started using the iPhone again for a couple of days.

I didn't have enough battery power to be using the iPhone a few days into the iPhone's return, so I decided to put my SIM in my Razr for that time. It's stayed that way ever since.

But only on Thursday was it that I took it out again, as I needed to use it while at the gym. Throughout my usage, I realized how much I missed it. Down the slippery slope I slid once again.

On the weekend, I had stayed in bed for a matter of hours oafter I had woken up because of my now-regular use of the iPhone. No matter how hard I try, it just can't stay off and in my desk drawer.

This concludes that I am, indeed, addicted to the iPhone.

Am attempting to stay with the Razr... more recounts of my experience with it to come.

No comments: